Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Out of Body Experience


We've all been there at one time or another. Walking behind our children, sitting laughing with them, kissing their new, ever growing, gigantic faces goodnight, and we have do a second take at how much they have changed. Holy hell, we ask ourselves, "when did this happen, when did they change, and grow up so fast?" Sometimes it is endless and never seems to move quite fast enough, but there are those rare moments...
I had one of those the other day, shopping of all places. All three of them laughing and playing together. The two big kids taking care of their little sister, chasing her around the store keeping her amused, the best they could.
As we left the store, my older daughter was carrying her baby sister and my son was chasing them, while his baby sister screamed with delight.
I watched them, laughing, playing and enjoying each other. It struck me that I had carried each of these people inside my body, grew them until they were able to join the real world. Wow! Sometimes I still feel like I am 18 and shouldn't have a daughter with boobs, a boy with zits and a toddler running around screaming her fool head off, but alas I do.
I am often tired, I complain a whole lot, but at the end of the day I am so glad I have them to share my life with. To stand outside myself here and there and marvel at what life has become, is truly unbelievable.


No comments: