Friday, May 23, 2008

Good Times!!

Well, no not really. I hate to be doom and gloom once again, but I am so bloody exhausted I probably shouldn't even drive today. Is it normal, or even okay to exist on about 4 hours of sleep a night? I don't think it's safe, or acceptable, but short of wearing ear defenders to bed, or sleeping on another floor of the house I don't know what to do.


My problem? A 20 month old with a set of lungs that could rival Pavarotti. I know, talking about an ingrown hair is more interesting than hearing about another sleepless night, among hundreds many of us have experienced (thousands, for those of us who can't seem to stop having children).

I just can't seem to get over it. Trying to get enough sleep, or at least enough to keep the bags under your eyes out of a medical journal, is like searching for he "Holy Grail", elusive at best.
My favorite is when someone, with only concern, says, "gosh you look so tired, everything okay?". How to answer? While all of the voices inside your head are screaming obscenities, you smile and always say that you're fine, you'll manage.

Unless of course it is a good friend, who will sit through your ranting, supportively, nodding her head, pouring you another glass of wine. All the while convincing you, you aren't really losing it. And a really, really good friend will never tell you that this will soon pass. That your precious little wonders will grow up and you'll look back and miss these days. I highly, highly doubt it. Instead they sit there with the same angry scowl on their face, telling you how much it sucks, and of course pour you yet another glass of wine.

I know the day will come when I will close my eyes, sleep through the night, only having to get up to pee, because my over worked bladder can't go a whole night anyway, but that day seems so far away. God I'll probably be in a nursing home by then. Geesh!!

2 comments:

Jade said...

That really sucks, and of course you should pour yourself another glass of wine.

The Long Road said...

Do you have a horrible scowl on your face? If you do, then you are in great standing. My wine glass is waiting, now all I have to do is wait for bed time.
It does suck, thanks.