Monday, May 5, 2008

I don't know if anyones cares, but...

I think there might only be two of us interested or miserable enough to either be reading or writing here, haha. It is interesting that you bring up this topic, working outside of the home. Today as I was sitting on my round, ample bottom, trying to exercise some of my girth off at the gym, when I read an article (well more like perused it very quickly, or I might have died from overexertion while pedalling frantically) in a local magazine about another article that was published in 2006 in Forbes. I now have to get my grungy little hands on it.

The original article was geared towards men on how to choose a desirable partner that will both be a reasonable wife and a possible candidate for having children with. To my surprise a woman's career choice and earning potential was of hot debate. To clearly detect whether a woman would be a suitable mate to a man, Forbes suggests that he (the man, of course) must consider that if he chooses a woman who earns more than a meager (by today's standards) 30k a year, she might not be the best choice. Instead it would be better if he chose a woman who did not have any post-secondary schooling, making reference to cashiers and such, as these women would be more satisfied staying home rearing a family. WHAT??? What bloody century are we living in? If she does have a formal post-secondary education there is the fear that she may be more interested in pursuing her career in lieu of bearing, let alone raising their proposed children.

Why in the world are women under such scrutiny when it comes to making a choice...you don't hear men sitting around with their buddies asking one another whether they plan on going back to work once they become parents. For women though, it is completely acceptable for anyone and everyone to form some kind of opinion on what is best for the children. Does it make one more of a mother, and therefore more of a woman, if she chooses to stay home? Why can't she continue to pursue he career, as, more than likely her spouse has?

In my humble little opinion I think the greatest thing we can do for ourselves and our families is to be satisfied. Be true to ourselves if we can....in the words of a very bright friend (I am not sure if they are her words or if she is just astute enough to have found them), listen to that tiny little voice that is all too often ignored or hushed.

Being a parent is hard, that is all, and giving up, putting aside or waiting is not always an option. We women who are moms should support and be the voice for others when it comes to choice. I for one cannot believe that an article like this is written or given any kind of credence today, it was hard to swallow decades ago, but today?

I am glad, and more often than not, envious of those who have found the time, strength and courage to do what makes them happy and whole. Sometimes being a mom isn't enough, and that should be alright. Kids are fabulous but one has to remember that once, no matter how long ago, you were just you, childless.

1 comment:

MotherhoodByters said...

I found the article you are talking about, and added a link. Now I just have to read it--first though, more Sidney!!!!!